Friday, February 26, 2010

Adam Lambert vs. Susan Boyle

One of my favorite past times is reading music blogs or blogs talking about music and the musicians making the music. This week a lot of them are filled with the Adam Lambert/Susan Boyle controversy. Most of the times I do not comment; I just read and move on. Occasionally one will spark a thought and off I go. As was the case with this article: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/susan-boyle/. When I tried to post, a message informed me “data not accepted”, so here I am where I know my data will be accepted.

My comment as written for the blog:

I am weighing in late on this, but find it intriguing and felt compelled to comment. I will not applaud or condemn this article, because this article like almost every article in a blog is mostly opinion based on fact. Whether or not Adam Lambert was misquoted is not what intrigues me; I am always amazed that some artists and their listeners hardly ever consider the fact that music is relative to the maker and the listener.

I had not heard the Rolling Stones’ version of Wild Horses, as a matter of fact I have not heard much of anything by the Rolling Stones because I do not care to listen to their style of music, nor had I heard Susan Boyle's version. So I listened to the selections offered here. I started Ms. Boyle’s video and proceeded to reading the comments posted. When it ended I started the Rolling Stones video and continued to read the comments, after several bars I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop it. It was just not my cup of tea.

I didn’t buy Susan or Adam’s album because neither one appeals to my eclectic taste in music. If Adam indeed said “if it weren’t for Susan Boyle”, I would hope he was sarcastically joking. People buy what they like. Apparently, more of Susan’s type of listeners found something to buy that week than Adam’s type of listeners. If a benefactor had offered me money that week and said I had to buy Adam’s album or Susan’s album I would first ask for another choice, if I couldn’t get that choice and had to choose between the two…I would have chosen Susan.

No comments: