Thursday, July 5, 2007

Musical Snobs

Being an avid music fan I read a lot of music message boards and blogs. I rarely comment on them because I think taste in music is relative. But sometimes what I read I just can't hold my peace.

Recently, I've been following Kelly Clarkson very closely. I think she has a purpose in the music industry that one day will manifest itself, it may well be on its way to happening with her new album My December.

I entitled this entry "Musical Snobs" because that's the feel I get sometimes as I read a review, aka an opinion, by music critics and music fans. This morning I stumbled across this site: (http://www.avclub.com/content/home) with a review of Kelly's album. After reading it and some of the comments that followed my fingers went into high gear in the comments section. I'll share my thoughts I left there...

I don't get why rock fans think if it isn't rock it isn't good. Critics and some music fans think if you didn't have to beg, scratch and be a poor starving artist to get into the music industry you have no credibility.

Credibility my foot! If the music sounds good I don't care what genre it is and how you got into the business I'm going to listen to it. There are a lot of artist out there that came into the business the "right way", whatever that is, and have zero talent. So what if Kelly Clarkson gained instant fame from some stupid talent show, does that negate her talent. The lyrics to Since U Been Gone were trivial and trite, it was the vocal agility of her performances that made the song.

I like good music whether it's indie, soul, classical, rock (which I mostly don't like), country (which I can only take so much of), pop (which I mostly don't like), jazz (which I love), gospel (which I adore), hip hop (which I hate), latino, reggae or any other genre you name, if the music arrangement is good and the vocals are slamming I'm going to listen. The artist can crawl into the business or drop in from a hot air balloon I don't give a flying flip! If they make an album that I enjoy listening to the rest is moot.


I'd say my feathers were a little ruffled.

1 comment:

dbk said...

Breathe sweetie! I hear ya. It's amazing that people are so quick to tear others down. Like I always tell my girls, "when someone is unkind to you, it's about THEM and not you" It is never necessary to be unkind. You can be firm, correct and even rebuke others without being unkind. Unkindness is in the heart of the speaker.